Intercultural Development Inventory®
The Intercultural Development Inventory® (IDI)
Developing intercultural competence is a life-long learning journey. The Intercultural Development Inventory® (“IDI”) is an excellent tool for assessing the intercultural competence level of an individual, group, or organization.
Further, the IDI provides individual and group feedback and coaching to develop a plan to enhance intercultural understanding.
Summary of Our ApproachIt is a simple and effective method to have your teams assessed and on their development journey.
Each group or cohort can accommodate up to 20 people. The cohort size is limited to support an interactive and collaborative learning experience.
75-minute debrief/coaching session with a qualified IDI Assessor.
Each person receives their profile report showing their IDI scores and a 6-month development plan tailored to their development level.
Group members at a 2-hour online instructor-led session, 'Introduction to Cultural Competence.'
Why Use the IDI?
- The IDI has been subjected to rigorous statistical testing. It is arguably the most thorough and reliable analysis of its kind and has been lauded by most subject experts.
- The IDI allows you to see an individual’s or group’s progression along a continuum of cross-cultural competence. It measures both mindset and skillset.
- The IDI facilitates cooperative conversations and actions toward growth and development rather than judgment and resistance.
- The IDI results are actionable. For each individual who completes the assessment, the IDI creates a customized Intercultural Development Plan (IDP) that guides the person through activities and self-reflections that develop intercultural competence.
- Conducting an IDI assessment is often the first step on the intercultural competence development journey. The tool is extremely useful in determining further developmental activities targeted to the specific needs and developmental level of each individual who completes the assessment.
What does the IDI Measure?
The IDI® measures an individual or group’s level of intercultural sensitivity along the Intercultural Development Continuum®. This is based on the Developmental Model of Intercultural Sensitivity, a renowned and widely respected developmental model created by Dr. Milton Bennett.
The Intercultural Development Continuum® theorizes that individuals progress through specific phases of development in their understanding of the complexity of cultural similarities and differences. Each position along the continuum represents an increasingly complex understanding of cultural differences, allowing increasingly sophisticated and engaging experiences with people of other cultures.
Developmental○ Provides practical, in-depth information
Actionable○ across a wide range of cultures
○ rigorously validated to apply across cultures and does not contain cultural bias
Customized for Educational and Organizational Use○ in 17 languages
○ staff provides a wide range of support
○ extensive IDI resources are available
About the IDI Questionnaire
The IDI is a 50-item questionnaire that requires approximately 10–20 minutes to complete.
The IDI tool generates profiles of an individual’s and a group’s capability for shifting cultural perspective and adapting behaviour toward cultural differences and commonalities—it is a measure of intercultural competence.
Group Profile Report
The Intercultural Development Inventory® can also be used to assess a group or team’s overall approach to dealing with cultural differences and commonalities. Detailed group reports are provided to the group or team with an aggregate picture of intercultural competence within the group. The group profile report must be requested separately and prepared at an additional cost.